Dear readers. It is with the heaviest heart that I write this message. My soul friend, my spiritual brother, my ‘sidekick’ Kal has tragically passed on.
We were walking up Dinas Bran, a hill he loved, and which he had suggested we visit that evening. We were preparing to watch the meteor storm on Wednesday evening. He was in high spirits as usual, talking of his future plans, his unfinished quests, his blossoming video course.
As the path up the hill began to get steep Kal said he was just going to stop for a rest, and that I should go on. Keen to set up my camera in time for the display I did so. Little did I know then that this would be the last time I saw him alive.
His non-appearance at the top sparked my concern after a few minutes, and I packed my stuff and headed back down the hill to see where he was. When I saw the torchlight at the spot where I had left him I knew something was truly wrong. Kal was lying down, still, and two amazing young people – Sam and his friend Laura – were frantically trying to resuscitate him. I joined them as we awaited the medical units that had been dispatched to help.
The team did all they could before air-lifting him to the nearest hospital. When I got there I was given the saddest of news. We were all too late. Cardiac arrest had killed him.
Khalid Malik. The Most Fantastic Fool. The Most Courageous Player of Life. The Most Faithful Follower and The Most Far-Seeing Guide.This whole blog site is dedicated to your memory. It is your memory – laid down in tales which inspire us to be worthy of your wisdom.
I am not sure what will happen now. I just needed to let you know.
I was at Alderley Edge in the Wizard’s Wood. Kal was with me – it had been his idea (I think). The heat of the evening air was regulated by a smooth cooling breeze that was sufficient to lift your hair and cool the brow. The trees were playing a melody of different rustling noises in tempo with the wind’s movement. It was a perfect evening for me to try to discover The Song of the Plains Wind.
This would be the first of my three wind songs that I was being asked to learn. When I looked back through my quests for the year i realised that this has been one of the first instructions I had received this year, but of course, as this was now the height of summer I had forgotten about such distant memories. Yet the advice had returned to me, and I recognised that the air spirit that was my guide this year would be the perfect companion to learn such songs with.
Between Light and Shade
I often sit at the balance point between light and shade, I notice. This has only come to my foregrounded attention in recent weeks, but I noticed it this evening as I was directed to go an sit in one of the many caves which can be found in this amazing forest. This would be my preparation point – far enough into the cave to be at the point between light and dark. Such is my nature and my predilection. I recognise it and I flow with it.
As my mind settles into a state of balance too, and thoughts flatten and siphon away I feel the movement of the celestial objects around me. The Sun, The Moon and The Earth are all orbiting around my centre. They feel very strong and large. I feel their attraction, the pull of their movement, and yet my centre is sufficiently rooted and centred to be able to hold its integrity. I feel ready for whatever is to come, and so I say my thanks to the spirits of the dark depths of earth, and I take my leave to re-join Kal, who is loitering with a dancing readiness to depart, to be drawn deeper into the woodland along energetic pathways.
It was a beautiful evening when Chris and I decided to pay a visit to one of our favourite forests. The wood at Alderley Edge. We arrived there in the early evening and the forest was as welcoming as ever. Stepping into the mystical wood we both drew our rods and began to follow them, and follow them, and follow them.
After several minutes we stopped to take stock, something unusual was happening. After taking us to a place of preparation the rods began to take us to some odd places. A tree here, a bush there, a hillock the other. At each place they demanded that we stop, look around, be patient.
If this had happened a couple of times, we probably would have ignored it but it happened again and again. Occasionally I would attempt to elicit an answer to a question and the rods would refuse. Or rather the forest would refuse. Be patient.
It began with an urge…to connect with my ancestors. Which was to begin in the home of my folks, Pakistan. Or so I thought. In fact I had even put it on my list of places to visit. Then a visit to Dinas Emrys and a commune with the spirit of Merlin changed all that. Merlin had told me that I wasn’t of Albion (obviously) but also that I wasn’t of Pakistan or the historical region it was in. This was a bit of shock, but not more than a huge spiral turning when he said that I was related to, if not the descendant of a magician from the middle-east.
Starting points on spirals is a terrible gambit. As soon as you think that this is where it all began you are shown another step in the past which is also where it could have started. Was it with Dragons and learning that their spirits had been captured by the aforementioned Magician? Was it when I rescued a dragon in Ireland? Was it when I was named a Magician in Alderley Edge? Was it when I was bound to an Ice Dragon? Was it when I was on a quest of the Dragons Soul Book? Was it when I was on a quest of Knighthood? And if my ancestory is middle-eastern, then was it when I had learned about Sufism? Was it when my mother made a prayer and a promise?
You see, so many starting points that one might even consider, it started before I was born? Which would lead me onto another topic, that of reincarnation and past lives. Is our (Chris too has spent much time on this) ancestral quest something akin to past-lives? Reincarnation? Are playing with the energies of Karma? Has the famed loony bin now been completely emptied?
I write this, having just returned from Ireland and gained a lot more information about the Magician Quest which is what my Ancestor Quest will now be renamed, for the time at least.
It seems that the prolog to this Magician Quest is to locate the shade of the magician, get from it information regarding an artifact he had left behind and then find that artifact. Oh, is that all, I here you say. In the mean time I also learned that my ancestors where nomadic and were of Persian origins. Which covers a huge swath of countries. Already I am destined for Istanbul and Morocco for ingredients to the Wand Quest. Perhaps two birds could be killed with one stone? How likely is that in my adventures?
When Caileach deals the Tarot you had better pay attention! It was the summer solstice of 2015 and I was at the Hill of Tara. Caileach had appeared and dealt these cards…the whole tale is told here. But what was their meaning? Here is my interpretation, with the help of Bridget of www.biddytarot.com.
Here are some interesting aspects of the Magician card:
- The Magician is associated with the planet, Mercury – interesting because Mercury is in Gemini (for my birth sign)
- The number of the Magician is one, the number of beginnings. – which was one of things that came up as in the shattering of the spiral that Caileach did.
- A time in your life when you have the creative power and energy to create a new life cycle for yourself – again the shattered spiral comes to mind. Starting a new cycle sounds about right.
- A situation has been (or soon will be) presented to you that has all the inherent components to allow the manifestation of your desires. – Now that sounds interesting doesn’t it. We’ll have to see what turns up.
- Those desires may be spiritual (fire), physical (earth), emotional (water), or mental (air), and are each aligned with the four elements of the Tarot. – Interesting that I completed the Four Elements quest only 6 weeks ago in Florence, Italy.
Here are some points about the World card:
- Dancing figure, rejoicing in the completion of the journey and celebrating not only this completion but also the new beginnings – again completion and new beginnings. The theme continues.
- In each of her hands she holds a wand or baton, representative of evolution and balance – evolution…okay
- green wreath, symbolic of success, victory, achievement and accomplishment – more of the same
- The four figures (a lion, bull, cherub and eagle) represent the four fixed signs of the zodiac – Leo, Taurus, Aquarius and Scorpio. These are symbolic of the four elements – again the four elements crop up!
- All of your efforts are finally paying off and you have reached the end of a journey or have completed a major life cycle. – more about completion and the end of a spiral
- Everything has come together, and you are in the right place, doing the right thing, achieving what you have envisioned, and feeling fulfilled and complete.
- the World card also heralds new beginnings that naturally emerge out of the completion cycle.
Here are some points about the Fool card:
- The Fool is numbered 0, the number of unlimited potential
- The Fool is shown at the beginning of his journey with unlimited potential
- He has a guardian in the little white dog who will protect him throughout his journey but who will also push him to learn the lessons the Fool came here to learn. – I wonder of Caileach is the white dog…let’s not go there
- Shows the highest potential for your life, reaching a state of renewal and new beginnings, where each day is an adventure and each moment is lived to the fullest. – Definitely feels like this.
- indicates that anything can happen and the opportunities are just waiting to be taken advantage of.
- Represents the need to set forth on a new journey, one that is completely unknown and will take you to uncharted territories.
- This is a time when you need to truly ‘believe’ and have faith in where the Universe is taking you.
- The Fool is always whole, healthy and without fear. He is the spirit of who we are, the spirit expressed and experienced as wonder, awe, curiosity and anticipation.
So what can we draw from these cards. Well they are all talking about a completion and setting off on a new adventure. What is that adventure? It can’t be the Wand Quest as that’s already begun. Recently the Element Quest completed, so is that the completion that it is talking about? Or is it more subtle than that? The fact that they all have the same theme and that Caileach smashed the spiral only minutes later has to have some significance. Or maybe it is the Magician Quest that seems to be on the horizon? Perhaps that is what it pertains to? And finally, there are some mundane projects coming into existence these next coming months. Perhaps it is those that are predicted? Time and hind-sight will reveal the answers. I, however, look forward with faith!
- if you are planning for the future, the Seven of Pentacles shows that you are taking a long-term view
- assessing where you can best invest your time and energy for the maximum output
- you have been working extra hard or putting in extra effort into something, it will finally pay off.
- You are likely to see financial or other tangible rewards for all of your hard work.
- you are now experiencing the rewards of hard work and effort.
- a card of celebration and accomplishment.
- is a message that the favour of the Universe is upon us,
- The flowers remind us of the good times in life, the sweet smell of success, and the beauty that surrounds us
- is representative of friendships and collegiate, harmonious relationships.
- You may find that by turning to your female friends, you receive the love, support and compassion you need right now.
- heralds a very sociable period
- This is a great time to let your hair down and indulge yourself a little
- For the moment, even though life’s problems go on, you can take time out to forget about the hassles of the everyday world and enjoy the company of your friends and loved ones.
- indicates the end or conclusion of any problems you have been experiencing, particularly those that relate to your interactions with others
- is also a very creative card, suggesting that you may pursue a creative outlet within a group environment, such as an art class or a dance class.
- is a sign to just ‘go for it’.
- Use your creative energy and passion to take the first steps and get this project underway
- is encouraging you to listen to your instincts and follow your gut.
- The important thing is that you act now, rather than spending more time planning or researching.
- Indicative of a time in your life where you have a ‘breakthrough moment’ and feel very inspired and motivated about a particular idea or passion
- showing huge potential at this time and are driven by a strong, creative force.
- a perfect time to draw upon your imagination and to make your dreams reality.
- it is but a seed that is yet to grow into something more solid or sustainable.
- It is almost like the spark that is needed to fuel a huge fire but you must work hard to build the fire up
Whereas the first set of cards spoke to me of more esotoric aspects of my life, these cards definitely call to the mundane (if it can be called that still) part of my life. Projects starting, taking the long view, working hard, going for it. Definitely all sing a harmonious song for me.
I wonder whether they are all applicable now or whether they represent a kind of past, present and future trend. Also I have a sneaky feeling that they are not only connected left to right. But also top to bottom too. I will review this reading again at the winter solstice to see what has played out in life. All I can say for the moment is…Exciting Times!
It’s been a week since I returned from Ireland, those amazing events have been documented here. In particular I have been curious about a momentous experience that I had there with that miscreant Caileach. In a hall filled with other knights she had shattered a spiral. Not only that but I had learned later that the spiral represented the past, present and future.
Rather disconcerting I have to say. If it represented all of that, in essence my life, what did the shattering of it mean? And was it a symbolic gesture or something more tangible? As always sacred experiences lead to more questions than answers. Almost as if they want to drag you into the sacred more deeply. Interesting…
Whilst at a sacred place called Four Knocks (which is where I learned about the spiral) I had remarked to a fellow traveller that it felt like this site had a twin in Wales called Bryn Celli Ddu. If I recall, I described it as having a bigger mound but smaller chamber. Quite literally a week later, I was heading off to this sacred chamber to discern if I could learn more about the smashed spiral.
I arrived there early afternoon and was excited to begin a process of learning, if such was available. I hadn’t checked with the rods before I left. It was basically driven by a desire to know and intuition. Was I on a fools errand? I walked to the mound and again noted that both this mound and Four Knocks had a similar walk to them.
Entering the sacred site I needed to prepare and so was taken inside of the mound (an odd place to prepare if you ask me). Once I had greeted the Genius Loci and attuned my energies to the place. I was ready to learn.
Note: I had asked whether I could do anything for this place also I had asked whether there was anything for me to learn. To which I had got a Nay and a Yay respectively.
I was taken to the top of the mound in what I felt was the twin place of that which I had sat, in four knocks. I wondered for a moment whether I would be taken into the mound here also. Would I be meeting the goddess again?
Lessons in Spirals
I didn’t meet the goddess, in fact I felt that I was communing with myself, an odd sensation to be sure. Particularly if you’re of the opinion that all communes are with yourself (See Why post)! I sat upon the mound like a student in class and understanding flowed…
Life isn’t a single spiral, in fact life is a multitude of spirals all interconnected or intersecting. The point where these all intersect is the present. The image that I got was much more complicated than the one shown above. There were hundreds of spirals in a multidimensional view. As time (the present moment) moved forward the spirals turned at different speeds. It was an amazing site and insight.
When Caileach smashed the spiral. It wasn’t the spiral, it was a spiral. Again I saw one of the spirals among many being shattered and the fragments falling away.
Spirals begin and conclude at various points in your life, they don’t begin at the start of life and end at the end of life. This was a fascinating observation because you automatically think that a spiral is eternal, but apparently it’s not.
All this knowledge flowing was fascinating but it didn’t explain the particular. Which spiral did she smash and what did it mean?
Because a spiral represents your past, present and future the smashing of one removes it completely from your timeline. What? Removes it? So that the events along it don’t now exists. So that the effects on the present of that spiral are now removed. So that the future that spiral pushed you along is now clear. Really! That powerful! That effective? That Changeful?
So I knew what it meant, momentous as that was. I was still at a loss as to which spiral it was and what events were on it. Which apparently had been erased from my history, present and future? Also another question had popped into my head…Why had she removed it? And why had I no say in its removal?
The spiral that had been removed had begun many years ago. I tried to get a sense of it and the number 22 came to mind. Twenty-two years ago some spiral had come into existence which had now been erased. Later on I dowsed multiple times and confirmed again and again that it was indeed 22 years. 1993! I wonder…
In my vision, I saw one of the many spirals that were turning before me in a multidimensional space shatter. I tried to look more closely at it, to try and find some image that would give me a clue as to what it had been and where it had been going. Nothing! There was nothing to hold on to. It was as if the very knowledge about the events contained within had vanished with its smashing.
It was with that insight that I realised something. I wasn’t seeing the shattered spiral. I was seeing a representation of what had happened. A reconstruction that had no details, no taste, no flavour, no scent. Just an after image.
Our recent experiences are bringing us to an understanding of time that is very profound indeed. It seems that not only can we traverse (in some sense) the past. Possibly change it.But now, even uncreate it. Or at least a powerful being such as Caileach can. Questions that still remain after my visit to Bryn Celli Ddu are…
- What did that spiral contain and does it matter?
- What did it remove from my future?
- Why did Caileach do this?
- Why could/did she do it without my permission?
I had some answers, hopefully others would reveal themselves soon.
I am in a quandary of sorts. In a previous post I told of the revelations and revolution of thought surrounding my ancestry. Now here is the thing. Back where my folks are from ancestry is recorded orally, in the minds of living people, passed on from generation to generation.
My mum would have been a great source of such knowledge as she was one of them types who could tell you about relations and the ships between them to the nth degree. Alas she passed from this earth some years ago, which leads me to my quandary.
Having returned from the above trip I was eager to learn about my ancestry, but not recent ancestry, I’m talking going back a few hundred, if not thousands of years. I tried a few relatives and got exactly no where! However my sister said something interesting… You talk to me mum don’t you? Why don’t you ask her?
She was semi serious and joking too. She knew that I dreamed about my mum on occasion and have had lengthy dream conversations with her. But they were dreams, right?
Now, I have talked with the ‘dead’ (note the quotes) before, in the form of shades. But these have generally not been very helpful or indeed knowledgeable given that they are, well, remnants of the being. I have reported here my lack of belief in spirits and yet also reported a very rare few times when I’ve communed with what might be described as spirit. Still, that bridge is one that I am still on, in terms of believing in it, so to speak.
There are I am sure other beings that could be persuaded to impart the needed knowledge, which actually just let me state here…
- Where is my ancient ancestry?
- Was the magician (see this post) my direct ancestor?
- Do I need to go on some kind of ancestral quest (see Chris’s many posts on this)?
- Why do I need to? (Assuming I do)
- What will the quest entail?
So these are the questions that are currently on my mind, I’m sure the list will expand. Back to my quandary then. I could of course attempt to summon the (“a” is more appropriate) shade of my mum, but that would be so disrespectful in my humble eyes. I could try to commune with her spirit (whatever that is) and see if I can garner any information that way.
You might be wondering as to why I don’t look up the history of the area, i.e. where Pakistan is. Since of course that is just a recent construct. The answer is simply a matter of dates. I know from my Dragon Lore that the dragons vanished around 1100’s ish (alas the post on the matter is lost or may not have even been written) so the question I want to know is, where did my ancestors live. Once I have more data on that score I can begin looking more geographically speaking, if I need to go there (on a quest).
I lay on the ground at the feet of my mums grave and simply asked the question…and fell asleep. I dreamed of magicians, Aladdin (funnily enough), Sinbad and other Arabian nights. I flew (on a magic carpet) across a huge land and many ancient cities. Persia! That was the name of the empire. But which city?
As I have mentioned before, I have this odd ability to shape my dreams. That is what I did here…which city? But my carpet wouldn’t respond. It just flew over the empire and it finally came to me. My ancestors were nomads. Roaming across all of what used to be the Persian empire. Lands that ranged from Turkey to the borders of India and from Egypt to Southern Russia. A vast land to be sure.
I awoke up and found that two hours had passed! Wow! But now I had some starting point, although vast as it was. The Persian empire. The question that lingered in my mind as I let the graveyard was…did I commune with the spirit of my mother?