I have recently found out something that I had begun to suspect but that I had never actually confirmed until now. My year is based upon an affinity with each of the four elements as the year cycles around, and some times of the year I am more in tune with certain elements than others. I suspect this is the case for many of us on a yearly cycle, but how many of us have gone to the trouble of working out what that affinity is, and thus beginning to tailour our druidic practises towards this affinity? Now may be a good time to do this work. Of course, you may intuitively already know this information, you just may never have actually formalised it in any way. Let me show you how my year works out, and you will see what I mean.
EARTH TIME : February to May
As the male energy begins to enliven the earth again and the plants begin to stir in the soil so the earth comes alive, infusing the earth spirits with strength and rejuvenation. The seeds feel the force of the male energies and wake from their slumber in the earth in response to this.
- work with earth spirits and elementals
- earth magic is more potent
- Underworld voyages are easier
- a time to venture deep within myself and return with knowledge
FIRE TIME: May to August
The sun is at its peak and the fire elementals respond to this by being most active at this time. The land is filled with light and warmth, and the earth is slowly drained of water. The time is associated with strength, light and activity. The male and female energies in the earth and sky begin to combine to produce a flourish of growth.
- work with fire spirits and elementals
- fire magic is more potent
- remote viewing and sending energies remotely is easier
- a time to use the energy available to progress
- healing energy is abundant
WATER TIME: August to November
As the fire begins to leave the plants and the heat drains from the earth so water is called upon to facilitate the decomposition process. The rains and storms come over the land clearing the channels of Summer vegetation, and cleansing the soil. In response to the weakening male energy of the sun the plant spirits make the most of their harvest producing fruits containing the seeds of the next crop to demonstrate the successful union of male and female.
- work with water spirits and elementals
- water magic is more potent
- interactions with spirit forms is easier, especially human
- clearance work and spirit release is common at this time
- re-balancing of energy is more frequent and often necessary
AIR TIME: November to February
With little sun, often frozen (imprisoned) water and solid earth this time is the playground of the air elementals. High winds race across the land in full flow, and the weather is unpredictable and changeable. The air spirits love the freedom of the winter, when they alone rule the elemental domains. With very little male energy available nothing gets done and the spirits dis-engage from the plants to leave them to sleep until the new year.
- work with air spirits and elementals
- air magic is more potent
- aura shaping/nemeton work is easier at this time
- remote communication occurs more readily
- weather patterns can be easily changed
- knowledge and lessons are easily integrated
This is how I have come to understand the forces of the year and how my own interactions with the elemental forces is now tuned. I would welcome your own feedback on this. Are these timings similar for you too? Do you find that you work with elements at different times to me? How does this impact your work and the kind of places you visit? What stories do you have of your work with the four elements?