Foraging in Spring

June 1, 2016

M always knows the right gift to get me for special occasions. This year she had bought a day course in foraging with a gentleman called Richard Prideaux at Rhewl in North Wales. It was an excellent choice. On first meeting Richard he oozed confidence in his information – it was information borne of of a passion which was both studied and experienced. Our small group soon began a journey into the beautiful Spring countryside where edible wonders awaited.

Foraging Course with Richard Prideaux - April 2016 (4) - Wild Garlic

Here is a list of all the different things we discovered we could eat when walking no more than a couple of miles of country track:-

  • Young Beech and Hawthorn leaves
  • Opposite-leaved Golden Saxifrage
  • Dock leaves and Nettle tips
  • Wild Garlic and Hedge Garlic
  • Wood Sorrel – tasty, and safe in small quantities
  • Digging for Pig Nuts
  • Oakmoss lichen

Edible Goodies

We all had enormous fun rooting around, asking questions, and trying out so many of the plants that we walk past without thinking about. Somehow we missed the worst of the rain, and the sun came out in strength for the walk across the open land where we were all surprised by the discovery of a huge puffball toadstool.

As with every such foraging venture, there were the things to stay away from – Dog Mercury, for example.

Foraging Course April 2016-3 (Medium)

It was a really informative day with a bunch of lovely people. I have to say that I got “stick envy” over Richard’s stout cherry staff. How I miss my ashen staff. I’ll have to get carving my new oak staff to replace it, and then I too can go wading through the countryside munching with purpose on the freebies all around us.

Here’s a link to Richard’s course site for those who are interested in foraging.


Only registered users can comment.

  1. I’m happy to take advice on that one. My original point was that it was toxic for humans. I vaguely remember something said about dogs liking it. If you have more detailed informati N then I defer to that.

  2. Glad you mentioned that Dog’s Mercury isn’t safe to eat. My parents used to have a dog that was a ‘nibbler’ and unfortunately she nibbled on Dog’s Mercury and died a very nasty death. I understand though that it’s only poisonous for 2/3 days during it’s growing cycle.

      1. Hi Chris – have to disagree on this one. The vet who tried to save my parents’ dog diagnosed Dog’s Mercury poisoning and told my parents that the plant is toxic for just 2-3 days during the growing cycle (I don’t know if that applies to humans as well as animals!). I’m also attaching a link that you may find interesting.
        Kind regards – Alicea

Leave a Reply