Posts Tagged ‘spirit of the place’
Scattered throughout the last year or so of this blog is the term Genius Loci. As I did some research (on our own blog) I found that the term has escaped its original use and is getting bandied about a bit – by me no less, the guy who coined it in the first place. So before proceeding let me clarify the term.
Genius Loci then translates from the Latin, “Spirit of the Place”. I first came across the phrase in an episode of that short-lived (sadly) TV series, Crusade…
I procured the term to represent the energy (sentient it seems) that resides within sacred stone circles. Although as I mentioned the term is getting a wider usage herein, I want to bring it back to its original usage for this post.
Over the last year Gwas and I have occasionally explored the Genius Loci of stone circles and determined the following information.
- Not all circles have a Genius Loci although most of them do.
- They have been dowsed to be in a specific position in the circle when we have visited but do move around within it.
- In previous explorations we have found “Entrances” and “Exits” to stone circles, we have/had assumed that these were where people entered but we have also determined an entrance and exit that the Genius Loci uses. It is still to be determined whether these are one and the same.
- The entrance and exits that the Genius Loci uses are neutral energy arcs. Again we have found other arcs too – notably at Arbor Low – which we will be exploring in detail
- The entrance and exits are almost but not quite opposite to each other and don’t seem to have a astrological/astronomical relevance.
- Using dowsing you can track the route a Genius Loci took after it entered into a stone circle to the place where it is currently at rest.
- Genius Loci’s seem to be aligned to astrological phenomena. For example the one at Arbor Low is aligned to Taurus, whereas the one at Nine Stones Close is aligned to Pan and the one at Nine Ladies is aligned to Mercury.
Note: This isn’t a direct alignment it is more that they share the same hmmm properties/characteristics.
- The Genius Loci do not reside in the circles all the time and this is odd but as far as we have dowsed Genius Loci’s we have found that they left the circles about 1100 years ago and returned about 700 years ago.
Note: I have dowsed about 8 Genius Loci’s so far and have found this date to be consistent. Further more, they were “summoned” by a human in the Middle-East around the Iraq area. Why and How we don’t know. I know – wow – but here is the thing – consistently those dates and information is accurate.
- When the Genius Loci’s returned from this enforced sojourn their “alignment” had changed. We have determine that this was to do with changes in peoples beliefs. But not how or why.
So far so good, fascinating and curious information which came from the sacred sites in the UK. Now we go to a stone circle in Ireland.
We were visiting the Piper stones circle in Ireland this year, our first circle abroad.
Here is a link to how that encounter went, Freeing the Dragon. But to pull some relevant data from that encounter to this post.
The Irish Genius Loci is the only one we have encountered that was trapped. It had been summoned and had gone when they were “called” 1100 years ago. This result surprised me. I was expecting different answers for some reason.
This Genius Loci is the only one we have had a seriously long encounter with. Again see the above post link.
As you can see, there is a whole world of exploration that can be done with this topic alone. Just as there is with so many others on this fascinating field.
What Gwas and I are finding is that should a topic need further investigation, it will crop up on our radar again and again and again. For now we keep moving forward, quite literally on the Edge!